Monday, July 4, 2011

Pork/chicken/shrimp cooked in a Veggie Broth (Select any two as long as one of them is shrimp)

Wherein Mr Ullman announces that he will be slacking off

I don't know a number of the ingredients that went into making a part of this dinner. My crock pot runs full time making a veggie broth. Whatever I don't use veggiewise-- be it stems, overly-enthusiastic chopping or things that are not going to last much longer-- I add. I strain it every other week and start over when necessary, usually with regret.  This also adds a permanent wonderful smell to your kitchen.

So this recipe uses the broth. A store brought veggie broth and a bit of experimenting with spices should do the trick.

The recipe also includes rice so make some. I used brown basmati but any short grain should work.

Oh, heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Since I am cool I strain about a cup of the homemade broth.

Cut up a goodly sized pork shoulder or chicken breast, slightly more then you would use if you were going to eat it whole. If nickles were square that would be the size you are looking to achieve. Put the pork off to the side.

Take some citarto (it does not taste like soap!) and two sharp greens (I used red dandelion greens and kale) and chop somewhat finely with a knife. Don't use a food processor since you don't want the greens extremely fine.

Put the pork or chicken in a Pyrex pie pan and add enough broth to cover the meat about 2/3s of the way. Add the greens and mix everything around. Add some Allspice, tarragon and a bay leaf. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar. Cover with aluminum foil shiny side down (no clue if this is important but it was something my mother believed in) and put into the oven. Cook for twenty minutes.

Take about ten medium sized shrimp and remove the tails and , if necessary, devain. Smash a good sized garlic clove.

Once the oven buzzer sounds remove the pie pan, add the shrimp and garlic, cover again and cook for seven more minutes.

Put the rice in a strainer. Pore the concoction in the pie pan over the rice (I recover the broth and return it to the crook pot). Toss and serve. I put a sweet relish on the side and used it as a dip.

This was very good with pork and chicken but next I am going to try a variation of this with a fish.

This is a one of my favorite “Do it quick” recipes. Another nice thing is that it is a versatile as a stir fry so you can do it with damn near anything you have in the fridge.

A Note:

Thinking about this blog over the last couple of weeks I decide that trying to do this weekly was to ambitious. I have been cooking for something to write about rather then the joy of screwing around with food. Therefore I am going to try doing a cooking entry once every two weeks for a while. Might end up doing this only once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment