Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The joy that came from a not-yet-thawed chicken breast.

Wherein Mr Ullman discovers the usefulness of soaking very dry fennel in soy sauce for twenty minutes

I came home and discovered that the chicken I was planning to cook tonight wasn't thawed. It was kinda thawed but I would have to regig my plans for it and would likely be eating around 9 pm.   Time to re-plan.  

I had a half of a pork steak sitting in the fridge.   That was a start so I went from there.

Cooked up some lentils, chopped some sweet onion, shallots, garlic, fennel leaves ( my last organic box included some really dry fennel.  The flowers are very usable but the leaves leave much to be desired) and a small potato.  

I put the potato and fennel into a bowl to soak in soy sauce while the lentils were cooking.  The potatoes would cook slightly  in the acidity of the soy sauce  and I figured that it couldn't cause the dry fennel leaves any more harm.

Once the lentils were done I seared the pork , put everything into a bowl, added some cream of mushroom soup and capers and tossed.  I sprinkled a small amount of Sage Derby on top and baked for twenty minutes.

For a shot in the dark it worked very well.  I won't repeat it as such but it is worth playing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment