Friday, March 9, 2012

Chicken thighs!



Wherein Mr. Ullman poaches some chicken thighs

For reasons known only to Albertsons HQ the grocery store was having a damn fine sale on chicken thighs. This is cool by me, I like chicken thighs better then chicken breasts so I purchased 2 and a half pounds which set me back a $1.99 since I have an Albertson's Preferred Savings Card (they don't require you to fill out a form so it is the only one I own). So, what to do with them?

That was an easy question to answer. I had made a mayo a couple of days back. I used a peanut oil base , cukes and toasted corn kernels, It didn't work well as a sandwich spread but it might work well here.

So that is where I started although I did dilute the mayo with some of the marinade from a jar of baby carrots . I also chopped up some celery root, English parsley, carrot greens, a couple of roasted garlic cloves from the night before, a bit of a leek and a baby carrot  I put all of this into a Ball jar, add some soy sauce and a small bit of something marked only as Hot Sauce and got out my single handed toastmaster mixer. Added some cinnamon and pepper under the assumption that it couldn't hurt.

I then heated the oven to 350, got out my trusty Pyrex and placed about five thighs into it (two for tonight, the rest for a chicken salad I want to attempt).I  sprinkled some  uncook (but shelled thank god) sunflower seeds on top of the chicken. I poured three quarters the above concoction on top of the chicken and baked for twenty minutes, basting when the mood struck. Flipped the chicken and added the rest of the concoction, basted, and cooked for twenty more minutes. Served with rice and, because of the state of the lauder, a simple salad.

Very tasty. In fact it was tasty enough that the two meant for the chicken salad didn't make it. They were eaten that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment