Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A simple cold sauce.


Wherein Mr Ullman offers a sauce rather then a meal


This is a sauce I occasionally make. It does not heat up well so I serve it cold as a dip when I use it on fish or crab or as something I brush on after cooking in the case of pork or beef. It is also tasty on potatoes.

This is what you need:
About a quarter of a red onion
Fennel, four or five stems and a bit of the bulb (fresh).
A table spoon of horseradish sauce
A splash of apple cider vinegar
A one cup container

Chop the fennel and red onion together finely.
Fill the contain half the way up with a good oil, I used toasted sesame this time but olive or peanut oils also work fine.
Add the splash of vinegar and the horseradish and stir.
Add the fennel and oils and stir again.
While I haven't tried it I think a tomatillo would be worth adding.

Tonight I used it on a beef loin sirloin. I baked it for about a half hour at 400. I took it out of the stove and let it rest while I made up the salad. Brushed on the sauce and take everything to the dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment