Friday, May 27, 2011

A Good Sweet and Sour Sauce

 Wherein Mr Ullman, having been defeated by a sweet and sour sauce in the past, stumbles upon a good one while Mr Broman attempts to plant subliminal messages onto these pages.

This is a tale of a sweet and sour sauce that, after a bit more refining, will likely becomes a staple for a white fish dish.

I am not a real fan of beef simply because it doesn't interest me. While a nice steak is good with some mushrooms and what not I usually just broil beef and look for fun things to do with the salad and side dish.

Anyway, I got some chuck shoulder with the idea of cutting it up and messing around with cooking with acids. I didn't get around to it and I hate to waste food. Broiling it is then.

So I put it in the oven and spent some time trying to figure out a sauce. It was going to be a cold sauce , not one that would be cooked along with the meat. I also had a half avocado that was starting to go brown on me. What to do?

I occasionally make a salad dressing from my favorite mild horseradish sauce, some soy sauce and olive oil. In a one cup bowl I add a couple of squirts of the horseradish, four or five splashes of soy sauce and then add olive oil to get the mixture up to about ¾ of a cup. You then stir vigorously.

I made this and then added the avocado. Stirred very vigorously so that everything mixed well.

Once the shoulder chuck was cooked I spread the sauce on the meat and let it stand for a few minutes. Very tasty and worth playing around with. Served with baby spinach, snow peas and side salad.

A note from the author 


As I stated in my first post the point is not to present recipes to follow but rather to start you folks on the path to tasty combinations. Someone emailed me and pointed out that a lot of what I post here is stuff that I made on the fly. That's true and sort of the point. I do eat both regular meals that are planned and do a fair amount of what if cooking. The what if cooking is what I am writing about. While few of these things become formal recipes that all go in notebook of things tried and will be used on purpose in some future meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment